Sunday, April 05, 2009

UVA Medical Center WiFi Guest 167 Logging In

~~~


"Sweetie, you want me to read to you some more?"
"hmmmm ... what time is it Dad?"
"11:30 at night."
"You were right. My body clock stopped. Sure, maybe half a chapter."

Tonight has been much better than the last night. We've both gotten a few more naps, and pain management has worked out a lot better. Nurse Rachel (our second nurse Rachel) just left. We've done a lot of sleeping position changes this evening - back, to right side, to back, to left side. It seems to help ease the pain a bit. I just helped her roll flat again.
"Are you chilly?"
"No. Maybe a little."
It's cool in the room, but this was a first. Having a sheet has almost been too much for her. I gave her a blanket.
"Do you want me to read to you some more?"
"No. Sing me a song." She grabbed my finger in her hand.
"Ok then. " I started into True Love Ways by Buddy Holly because she likes that one, but she cut me off.
"You Are My Sunshine," she said.
As the song was ending, she gazed at the balloons that came from Jane and the girls. I segued into more stuff about sunshine, but I could only muster the chorus. As I repeated it over and over, she drifted off to sleep.

Weave, weave, weave me the sunshine
Out of the pouring rain
Weave me the hope of a new tomorrow
and fill my cup again.




~~~

7 comments:

mustluvdogs said...

You are doing such a beautiful job capturing the poignancy of this difficult saga.
Happy to hear pain control is better. Any luck in the other dept or have you been sworn to secrecy?
We plan to go to Unity today (all 7-plus Whitney's friend who has adopted us) and will probably overwhelm the place. Will all keep praying for Ro*.
Will ask Karen if we can film so Ellen can watch when she is able.
Hope you all have the best possible day.
Love,
LABLJW

Boomin' Granny said...

So glad you both had a better night. It's amazing what good nursing care and good meds will do.
Please let us know what the plans are for tomorrow and give Ro* a hug and a kiss for us.

Johnny said...

Good to hear the night was better.

Hope you have an excellent day today.
We're all thinking about you and praying for you.

Much love.

Anonymous said...

Please give Ro* our love and respect. She is truely amazing to handle so difficult a situation with such grace and strength, of course, look at her parents. We continue to hold you all in our hearts. Ro* is on the prayer list at Holy Redeemer. :}

FlapScrap said...

Thanks for this post - best one ever. When Ro* is our age in 30 years, who knows what other kind of tumult she'll have gone through. But she'll have this post and a spine of steel and people all around she can trust when she needs us, so she'll surely do it all with her heart wide open.

LMP said...

I hope today goes perfectly. Better than that, even.

Brooklyn Volunteer said...

Hi, I'm a complete stranger but a NY friend of Lisa and Jeremiah. I occasioally post on Daily Spawn. I just wanted to express all my care and concern to Ro. I really love your outlook on this scary situation. I know it helps Ro.
All the best,
Laura