Friday, August 22, 2008

American Prayer

~~~




When I first cued up this song and video, I was positive I was going to hate it. By the time MLK flashed onto the screen, well dammit honey, I was a mess. I actually gasped - what is that; GOL? Dave Stewart co-wrote the song with Bono - who is not involved in this project, because he has to make nice with whomever is the next POTUS if he hopes to keep getting help for his worldwide army of the downtrodden.

Anyway, you're surely sick to death of all this Obama talk. I know I am. But then again, I try to picture what November 5th would be like, how would that day feel and play out, if Fox News were talking about President-Elect John McCain. What would the next four years be like?

Look, you're on my stupid blog, so you're not so busy you can't watch Dave Stewart and his Cavalcade of Stars. See if you're inner-cynic doesn't get lured out into the open and given a liberal thrashing by a bunch of pinko artist types.




Pinkos featured in this video include Whoopie Goldberg, Macy Gray, Forest Whitaker, Herbie Hancock, Joss Stone, Cyndi Lauper, Jason Alexander, Barry Manilow, Colbie Caillat, Buju Banton, Linda Perry, Joan Baez, Pam Anderson, Sergio Mendes, Perez Hilton, Margaret Cho, Cindy Gomez, American mortgage lenders, teachers, Iraq war vets, and some more.


"As an Englishman, I'm not an expert in all the intricate details of American politics. But as an artist, I understand how rare it is to inspire a connection to a bigger idea or purpose. This video isn't so much an endorsement of Barack Obama as much as it is a celebration of all those who have picked up a sign, who have registered to vote and are working to make the world a better place. So as Senator Barack Obama ascends to the mountain top, let us not forget all of the others who for the past 40 years have sung anthems of change to make this moment possible."
-Dave Stewart


myamericanprayer.com/

"Nothing can stand in the way of the power of millions of voices, calling for change."
-Barack Obama

"We want change."
-Millions of people




~~~

6 comments:

FlapScrap said...

Today I'm going to start shopping for an American flag that was made in America. I might have to make it myself. If the vote is counted and Obama/Biden wins, we'll put it up.

Anonymous said...

Will fly ours along with yours if an honest victory exists.

Good luck with the flag. We've tried this before and evidently China has abundant amounts of patriotism for America...

Hugs to my cousins.

LMP said...

No pressure, Mr. Obama, but we have some high expectations...don't let us down.

FlapScrap said...

By the way, I watched the video and these b&w slow songs with b-list stars are starting to get a little "we are the world" for my taste. They're like Studio City graffiti uglying up my trip.

Uncle Steve said...

I have to agree with the 'we are the world' comment, AND what's worse is that the American Prayer tune is entirely unmemorable. Not at all like the music of MY day; I get that 'do they know it's christmas' song stuck in my head ALL THE TIME.

Anonymous said...

Sorry, Keith. I could not quite listen to the whole thing. I tried. It put me to sleep.