Monday, November 24, 2008

Guys

~~~





Did you see what happened there? Bobby Dylan just pissed off some Irish guy by slighting Dominic Behan, then Donovan just started playing and peace and love and those hippy flowers all just started floating down all over the room. Then Bobby Dylan said, "Hey that's a good song, man!", using his best Garth voice.


"...ummm, does this
seem weird to you?"


Donovan saved the day. He really was Sunshine Superman, man! You are, without a doubt, wondering why Bobby Dylan so adamantly didn't want to hear anything about Dominic Behan in this clip. Behan was an Irish writer who used in one of his songs a traditional melody entitled "The Merry Month of May". He joined his own lyric to it, criticizing the Irish Republican Army. Dominic accused Bob Dylan of stealing the idea to steal the traditional Irish melody and adhere his own war protesting lyrics in "With God On Our Side". Boys will be boys.

The Patriot Game
- Dominic Behan


Come all ye young rebels, and list while I sing,
For the love of one's country is a terrible thing.
It banishes fear with the speed of a flame,
And it makes us all part of the patriot game.

My name is O'Hanlon, and I've just turned sixteen.
My home is in Monaghan, where I was weaned.
I learned all my life cruel England to blame,
So now I am part of the patriot game.

- and it just goes on like this -

Beggin' your pardon, but I tend to believe that Come Out Ye Black & Tans was a much better song anyway.


~~~

5 comments:

FlapScrap said...

All right, I'm the bad man: I always read Dylan's "hey, that's a great song, man!" to be sarcasm. Several times in earlier parts of "Don't Look Back" Dylan is told that Donovan is the new Dylan, and he says things like, "maybe we can get Donovan to do the show." Then, in this scene, Dylan looks like he can't wait to grab the guitar from Donovan and contrast Donovan's rose-colored, half-full glasses

"I'll sing a song for you. That's what I'm gonna do. Sing my song ..."

with Dylan's

"Leave your stepping stones behind, something calls for you.
Forget the dead you've left, they will not follow you.
The vagabond who's rapping at your door
Is standing in the clothes that you once wore.
Strike another match, go start anew
And it's all over now, Baby Blue."

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe Dylan wasn't aware the camera was on him even when Donovan was singing and maybe it wasn't a shredding match. Maybe that was a great song, man.

... the lock upon my garden gate's a snail, that's what it is ...

Keith said...

Donovan's just an innocent bystander in Dylan's drive-by shooting of London.
"You got anybody like Ginsberg here?"
"We got Behan."
"I already stole Behan."
How many times must they fly?

FlapScrap said...

Exactly! They're flying as fast as Bobby can ram the powder in. Your post seems to say Donovan won him over. Much like Bush won Putin when they gazed into each others' eyes.

Keith said...

Dylan is clearly the superstar in the room, which is why his ass wasn't kicked by Angry Irish. He's clearly the more talented writer, and Donovan acknowledged himself to be a fan by requesting a song. Dylan's song about wind is a song about hate. Donovan's song about wind is a song about love. My post is about what happens with a room full of guys. The comments section is, too.

FlapScrap said...

You don't know what the fuck you're talking about. You're the asshole on a moron. Need a beer?