Thursday, November 29, 2007
















This is Cap'n Mark writing today, since our boat scribe Keith has been feeling a bit under the weather (only a tad seasick and now getting better) and has been sleeping all day, now spread out on the back deck along with the chef (see picture. Note open mouth of chef just waiting for insertion of carrot or suchlike).

We've been running under our red spinnaker alone for more than the last 24 hours now, with the occasional windy and rainy squalls coming through at 25 knots, praying that it holds up (north sails says it is good for up to 25 knots apparent wind). Our speed increases to 10 knots when this happens, but mostly we are pottering along at a leisurely 6 to 7 knots with 15 knots of wind. Showed the crew how to use the automatic heading function of the autopilot, since we want the wind directly behind us at all times. If not for that we would be constantly changing course manually to adjust. Heading ranges between 220 and 260 degrees.



Dinner was great last night...stir fry with chicken, and a whole baked dorado stuffed with lemons as well. Keith caught that (see picture), although he was loath to kiss it. He also learned how to clean it as well. We aren't short of food yet. When we do run out, we can always eat Tom. Anything tastes good with ketchup.

Had a huge school of dolphins again, but so far no whales. Last year we had a 30 foot whale surfing down the waves alongside us for 3 days. Thinking perhaps he could mate with 2 upside down whales?

Chatted again with Talulah Ruby, who were ahead of us by 12 miles..grrr..I thought we would catch them up during the fast sprints in squalls, but no...they slipped over the horizon again when we slowed down in the aftermath. Now as I look out the window there is a boat with a red and white spinnaker. Wonder who they are. Have to call on the VHF and see.

Thanks for sms messages from friends and family, nice to get them. Till tomorrow, but as always a postscript in Dutch. One of these days I shall find out what he is writing.


Op dit moment zeilen we met de spinnaker pal voor de wind van ongeveer 13 knopen met een snelheid van 5.7.
Het is nu erg gemakkelijk omdat ook de windcontrol aangezet is. Wanneer de wind draait, b.v. vanwege een bui in de buurt, dan slaat het alarm aan en druk je een knopje in zodat de boot automatisch weer voor de wind gaat zeilen.
Ondanks golfslag en toch de geluiden van een varende en af en toe zeer snel varende boot kunnen Louis en ik uitstekend slapen. Wij hebben geen problemen. Je weet niet hoe snel een dag om is aan boord. Je doet heel weinig maar de tijd vliegt. Van vliegende vissen heel veel dolfijnen praten over eten en gezellig keutelen.
Zelfs het douchen is heerlijk.
Het boek pak ik ook regelmatig om ergens op een rustig plekje wat te lezen.
Jullie zien nu hoe mooi het is om aan boord te zijn.
Á demand.

9 comments:

FlapScrap said...

I'm not a doctor, but I wonder if Keith's queasiness might be from all the fish kissing. Where's the photographer when my brother is bent over the rail singing to the mermaids?



Shall I part my hair behind? Do I dare to eat a peach?
I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach.
I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each.

I do not think that they will sing to me.

I have seen them riding seaward on the waves
Combing the white hair of the waves blown back
When the wind blows the water white and black.

We have lingered in the chambers of the sea
By sea-girls wreathed with seaweed red and brown
Till human voices wake us, and we drown.

FlapScrap said...

NEXT STANZA, MAKE NO MISTAKE, NOT ELIOT (BUT DEDICATED TO SLOW MOVING SEAMEN):

I shall kiss the fishes floundering on the deck
And geck and hack and vomit o’er the rail
While Captain, my Captain, types of my travail

I cannot bear to watch him hunt and peck.

LMP said...

Would that my brother, so moved to wax poetic by my other brother's unease, would post something new own his own frakin' blog.

FlapScrap said...

Lisa, your frakin' peops want to know: is your E key busted?

Uncle Steve said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Uncle Steve said...

Something seemed fishy to me about that briny dutch bastard's code that he's been posting. So I've had it translated using a free translation service on the internet. Did I mention that it's free? I could probably translate it better myself, and my only experience with Dutch is the danish that I had with my morning coffee. Still, based on the translation, I have these words of advice: watch your back! Trust your gut and at his first odd move I suggest you all toss him into the shark infested waters. You'll see what I mean from this translated quote from his secret code:

"Despite wave blow and really the sounds of a sailing and finished and closed very fast sailing boat can Louis and I stuck out temples."

Clearly, he and Louis are planning to stuck out your temples. WEAR A HELMET!

And then these cryptic yet menacing quotes could only mean trouble:

"We have no problems. You know not how fast a day round is on board. You do quite little but the time flies."

You must kill him before he kills you.

Keith said...

I have been using babylon, too!
Ellen

Anonymous said...

Hallo Buurman,

Nou leuk hoor om te lezen wat je zo allemaal aan het doen bent. Ik ben aan je vrouw en mijn vader aan het leren hoe ze met dit geheel om moeten gaan.Heel veel plezier nog en doe de groetjes aan de Louis en aan de rest van je vrienden daar.

Groetjes
Astrid

Anonymous said...

Hello Keith,

Please don't make fun of my husband Tom. I don't want you to eat him and want him back in once piece.

Groeten aan mijn mannen
Annemieke