Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Buy The Ticket, Ride The Ride

~~~


I was wheeling through the Ear Food Records parking lot to evade an intersection when my cell phone rang. It was nurse Karen, and I was completely unprepared.

"Hi Keith. We have a surgical plan."
"But we were just there yesterday. What about the unexplained delay? Where's the callous disregard?"
"We want to get this done now, so Ro can have a great summer vacation, right?"
"Yeah, I know. It's just a little jarring. The reality is settling in. I don't even get this kind of customer service when I buy a cup of coffee."
"Maybe we should go over the surgical plan?" Karen's an Alpha Nurse.

So here it is, folks. The Plan.

Friday, March 27 - Pre-op appointment.
This is the meeting where we do blood work, fill out paperwork, sign all those forms that indemnify the hospital. We'll also tour the post-op center and get a look at the Expensive Care Unit.

Tuesday, March 31 at 6:30 am - Surgery #1.

Monday, April 6 - Surgery #2.

Each surgery will probably last four to five hours.

So there it is. Real as can be.



~~~

5 comments:

polsaway said...

why can't Ro have a blog to herself leaving out the bat 'n' ball stuff

LMP said...

I've never met a non-Alpha nurse. They all scare me a little, even mom.

Since we won't be around after surgery to dote on Ro, what can we send?

Keith said...

polsaway: It's a good suggestion, and over time I have given it a lot of thought. I concluded that I would leave the whole mess here. If I were to create a separate blog for Ro, one for baseball, one for politics, and one for general unabashed ranting at the moon, I'd never have time to do anything else. Further, backtracking to find specific past writings would become a bit of a nightmare. I'd have to start tagging my posts and doing other things that require forethought and organization skills. Even though it's not how a professional media outlet would be set up, I long ago decided to throw everything into one word dumpster, for better or worse.


LMP: When in doubt, send iTunes gift cards. She loves to shop the store and find new music. Beyond that, we will be organizing card parties, online video chats, and other ways to communicate with her throughout this adventure. Ro's not a big fan of items, so no need to send stuff. Mostly, it will be helpful to her to know that a lot of people are smiling when they think of her, and thus smiling a lot.

jdrueke said...

I can't even imagine what you guys will be going through. Good thing Ro's so tough. Must have gotten that from her mom.

I will see what I can do to arrange for a visit from the Jonas Brothers. She's a tween, she likes them, right? Although I've read that a crush on them almost guarantees your prom date will be gay.

polsaway said...

Ro there is lots and lots of smiling here in Malta. Saturday onwards smiling on various planes across the world to Down Under; we may be viewed with much suspicion but we will still be smiling as they lead us away.