Monday, September 11, 2006

13 - 8. After an "amazing" comeback. I should have been excited when Washington tied it up, but I just kept thinking, wait for it. Then, as Bugs says in the XM bumper, "WHAM! A Homuh! WHAM! Anudduh homuh!". I acted all cool. "I knew that was coming. He loaded the bases." But the fact is, it sucked the air out of me as only a grand slam can do. If a series like the Debacle in Denver ... the Rocky Mountain Sigh ... pains a lowly fan so much, what does it do to a group of competitors so brutal, so barbaric that they made it to the majors? Sure, they've all been through routes before. There was that summer in Little League, maybe. Can they seriously just move on and play Arizona like nothing happened? If the Harlem Globetrotters were a baseball team, the 2006 Nationals would perpetually be the opposing team. But slamming them is too easy. Hopefully, I can keep an eye on the bigger picture; 2008. Meanwhile, Frank Robinson and Co. will play 12 more games at RFK this year, and I will travel two hours each way to be at every one of them. If I were to start booing them now, I might just as well go to Phillies home games and boo along with a chorus.

No comments: